Thursday, December 20, 2007

My research

Once I found out that Thailand would be my home for the next two years, I began absorbing any information I could on the subject. The following is a list of observations I have made during my research:

- The wai (a Thai greeting to show honor, respect, or gratitude) has distinct rules
- Sandals and shoelessness is common
- Buddhism is sacred
- Thai hospitality is unmatched
- The King is incredibly loved and revered
- Yellow is worn on the King's birthday as well as on Mondays
- Thai food is delicious, combining spicy, salty, sour, and sweet
- Classrooms are teacher-centered
- The cities are not a good representation of the outlying areas
- Rice is a staple

I'm sure these will seem like broad overviews once I begin my service. This list will most certainly be improved upon before I depart and be compared to my in-country observations, as well as my post-service thoughts.

No comments: